Tuesday, November 30, 2010

A Rickety Canvas


There was this small abstract acrylic painting that was hanging on my bedroom wall for a while but it's not exactly portfolio-worthy because the canvas itself was strangely "rigde-y" and sort of warped...probably because I had some random stuff sitting on it at one point...

so I decided about throwing it away, considering that I had other canvases that I could gesso over like this one so I wouldn't really miss it. But then I got curious about the blank, raw side of the cloth...
So I separated it from its frame and flipped it over and made this doodle with chisel-tip Sharpies... and it looks interesting enough....but still not worth keeping. What I have yet to do, and I think it would be cool to do, is paint on raw canvas...

I bet I could find some from the Dick Blick online warehouse; this would most likely be one of the few shopping havens for artists where you can get a lot as well as save a lot. And their shipping is really something else; sometimes they overdo it with the packaging (they pack orders of a few paintbrushes into a box big enough for 3 coffee table books) but it certainly comes to the doorstep fast: almost every order from these guys have arrived about a week earlier than the expected arrival date. In case you are curious, http://www.dickblick.com/

One more thing, I have now finished that still life that I wrote about from the previous post...here's the link: http://spencerthart.blogspot.com/2010/11/still-life-with-stump-and-small-table.html

No comments:

Post a Comment